[singlepic id=279 w=320 h=320 float=left]
She said yes. Now what? As you prep for Friday night’s date, here are some tips and reminders to help make that first date a success.
10 first date tips just for men:
1. Plan it. Have an answer for when and where the date will be. Try to pick a location that’s comfortable and conducive to conversation. While movie dates are popular, they’re not great for first dates as you’ll both be staring at a screen all night. If the idea of staring at her from across a table all night intimidates you, choose an interactive date. Even if you have nothing in common, you can at least laugh about your poor mini-golf skills together.
2. Pay. Even if she offers, insist on paying for the date — especially if you initiated the date in the first place. As a couple, you’ll figure out how to split and cover bills later. But for now, pick up the check.
3. Be confident. She already said yes. She wants to be there.
4. Dress to impress. You don’t need to wear a suit and tie to the local pub, but it wouldn’t hurt to brush your teeth and put on a shirt that doesn’t look slept in.
5. Be on time. And be gracious if she’s fashionably late. (She probably just doesn’t want to show up before you get there.)
6. Be attentive. Ask great questions. Listen. Smile.
7. Use compliments appropriately. She likely put some effort into her look for you, so offer her a compliment or two. Avoid a never-ending list of praise — it can get overwhelming — or comments that sound too sexual. “Beautiful” is better than “smokin’.”
8. Prove that chivalry is not dead. Sure, she’s an independent woman. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t open the door for her.
9. Say goodnight. Don’t let the evening end with a fizzle. Be intentional about saying goodbye, and initiate one of the following: a handshake, hug, or kiss. Don’t leave her standing there awkwardly at the end of the night.
10. Follow up. Ignore those three-day rules. If you had a great time, let her know the next day.
What is the best first date advice you have ever gotten?